Automated conveyor systems – its usage and elements
Automated conveyor systems are highly practical and efficient mechanical handling equipment used worldwide in different industries for moving heavy and bulky objects around the warehouse, factory or other areas. They are convenient and consist of high-quality elements, such as endless belt or strip, also named looped belt, which delivers goods, item parts or other materials wherever they are needed. Other components of the industrial conveyor belt systems are a driving unit, a motor bracket, counter-bearings, an (electrical) drive, an extremity pulley and extremity parts, the profile and different add-on modules, e. g. lateral guides, stands etc.
Types of automated conveyor systems
Firstly, we distinguish between powered conveyor systems and gravity or manual systems. The latter move the material without an outside power just by manual pushing or by gravity (they are usually inclined). The powered conveyor systems on the other hand are powered by a mechanical device/outside source of energy.
We distinguish between bigger conveyor systems, which are used in industries with high production and higher demands, and practical mini conveyor system, which suffice for small industries, where we don’t need to move a lot of (heavy) items, products or materials very quickly.
We also distinguish between different types of automated conveyor systems, most common being:
- pneumatic conveyor systems: use pipes or ducts (transportation lines), which transport mixed materials (like cement or fly ash for example) and a stream of air by air pressure through different tubes. They use either push or push-pull pressure for distributing material from one place to another,
- vibrating conveyor systems: these automated conveyor systems are widely used in food industries where hygiene and quick handling are essential. They also work well in harsh, hot, dirty or corrosive environments. Their main function is transporting goods and materials (even newly cast metal parts, which can be very hot), but are also used for classifying, sorting, screening and orienting elements,
- flexible conveyor systems: consist of an aluminium or stainless steel conveyor beam, which has low friction slide rails that guide a plastic flexible chain. Before usage they are rolled out, stretched and positioned where needed (they can also be guided in curves, around obstacles etc.). The flexible conveyor systems can be rolled out and closed quickly, which makes them very practical and useful. They are mostly used in food or case packing, pharmaceutical industries and in shops,
- vertical conveyor systems and spiral conveyors: are basically freight and material lifts. These industrial conveyor belt systems are used to raise or lower resources to different levels or transporting materials to different floors. They consist of two parallel conveyors, which rotate in opposite directions at equal speed. They can work as manual or automated conveyor systems and can usually be integrated with horizontal conveyors. Spiral automated conveyor systems also raise and lower materials to different levels, but are capable of transporting loads in a continuous flow. They are suitable for food industries, retail case packaging, pharmaceuticals and other industries that require higher output of materials,
- heavy duty rear conveyors: are used for transporting or moving very heavy items (230 kilograms or more). These automated conveyor systems facilitate the handling and are quick as well as time effective.
The benefits of automated conveyor systems
It’s essential to invest in high-quality automated conveyor systems, which will perform their function well and will also last a long time. Such high-quality equipment is produced by Nieros. Their automated conveyor systems are low maintenance, reliable, sturdy, durable and are produced to meet specific needs of different industries. Other benefits of Nieros’ automated conveyor systems are:
- speed: they enable fast transportation of materials and products,
- they can cover quite a distance easily,
- they can be used to move materials in vertical or horizontal directions and even around obstacles (if we use flexible conveyor systems),
- they come in different varieties, lengths, widths, sizes (bigger and mini conveyor system), roller finishes etc.,
- they move smoothly to reduce the damage on items or pallets,
- they disburden workers in physically demanding and repetitive operations and help reduce injuries.
When to choose flexible conveyor systems
Flexible conveyor systems are highly functional and extremely practical in industries, where fixed automated conveyor systems don’t suffice. Flexible conveyor systems are used, when we need to move items and materials around obstacles or need to change their transportation path, but they can also be conveniently used for transporting materials in a straight line. They are fast, safe, very easy to use and can be rolled out, stretched and then positioned wherever we need them.
There’s of course much more to be said on the topic of flexible and stationary automated or manual conveyor systems. If you’re interested in additional information, you can consult Nieros’ website or contact their friendly and professional staff, which is always at your disposal.